If you are interested in NHS Band and Marching Guard for the 2017 season, plan on attending our Orientation on June 5 from 7 - 8:30 p.m. (6:30 check in) at Newtown High School. Both students and parents should plan on attending. Check out our website for more information.
Want to be part of the success of the NHS Marching Band & Guard program? Want to do something that is valuable, fun and of great service to our band & guard family? Then become a member of the NHSBPC executive board!
Our award-winning band & guard program has executive board member openings for the upcoming 2017 season. As an NHSBPC team member you will assist in the continued running of this well-oiled machine whether that's by sending out scheduled emails (Corresponding Secretary), keeping track of funds and budgets (Treasurer), recording the meeting minutes (Recording Secretary) or acting as liaison between NHSBPC members, students, and instructors (President& Vice President).
For continuity we ask that members with freshmen, sophomores and juniors (2017-2018 school year) apply. With one night a month dedicated to our board meeting followed by our membership meeting, your time commitment may be surprisingly low. Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have about any of the openings so please ask! Make it your own and remember, our team and responsibilities are very well-organized--we are always available to help or consult!
In addition to executive board positions, we will also have several important committees that will need leadership. Students and parents graduate out and the show must go on!
Please see below for open coordinators and executive board positions. Elections will take place in May so please don't hesitate to jump in! Contact Scott Reiss, our Nominating Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest.
Since there are several existing board members staying on, once we have three new parent members joining, we will work together to figure out what is the best fit for each person. The hard truth is that this program cannot continue if we do not fill the board. Rest assured! This is a fun and worthwhile investment of your volunteer time!
Board positions include:
Treasurer* – Bookkeeping/Accounting experience a plus! We use QuickBooks.
Corresponding Secretary – Needs to be able to check emails a few times during the day.
*We would love to start training a new treasurer while Azra is still on the board!
Parent Coordinators Immediate Openings
We need a parent to take over the SCRIP Coordinator position since Muriel’s son will be graduating in June. This is a very important fundraising program and it only takes a couple hours each month of your time to make a huge difference in the band & guard program. Muriel will train you!
Superfun Inflatables Coordinator
This is the easiest fundraiser to coordinate! Simply be the liaison between the board and the Superfun Inflatable’s owner and coordinate the volunteers. One event in June, possibly a second over the summer. Michele Buzzi will train you!
Mattress Fundraiser Coordinator
Again, one of the easiest fundraisers to run! Simply be the liaison between the board and the mattress sales representative, coordinate publicity (with other parents) and keep track of the few volunteers we need the day of the sale. Very easy and Michele Buzzi will train you!
Contact NHSBPC if interested.
We are looking for some storage space for the props over the winter so we can determine if we will use any of the materials or graphics in the future. This would include the 12 graphics and bases along with the fun house panels (not the scaffolding).
If anyone has room any storage space at your home or work and would be willing to store these items over the winter please email Michele Buzzi ASAP at email@example.com
We need to move the props out this Sunday so please let me know as soon as possible if you have any space.
Long term solutions - we are also looking for long term solutions to store our winter program floors (April through Nov.) along with some items that we need for the winter show and can't leave in the container as we sometimes can't access the container in the winter due to snow.
Again, if you have space or have a suggestion please email Michele Buzzi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come one! Come all! The marching band & guard annual awards banquet is soon approaching. All band and guard members, parents, family and friends are invited and encouraged to this fun end to the season! Band and guard members need not submit payment for this event. Don't forget! You may use band credits to pay for your attendance at the banquet.
Please fill out and submit the attached banquet RSVP by Monday, November 7th.
Click below for form:
If you are at the show and wondering what time Newtown is going on or what the line-up is, check out the Calendar. If you click on the event, the schedule is posted (as soon as it is finalized). On a smart phone you may need to look in the "Notes" section.
Better yet, use the directions on the Calendar page to add the Band and Guard calendar to your own so that it shows up on your device!
Pit Crew and Any Parents Who Can Help on Saturday:
We will unload the instrument truck and props beginning at 7:30 PM in the MetLife parking lot.
The parking lot is huge and there will be many buses, trucks, etc. Look for the band truck or sign up for Remind and I will send out our location once the truck and trailer are set up and you will receive a message. To sign up for Remind click on the following link:
Also, the truck will be arriving at the hotel at 2:00 PM to unload uniforms into a meeting room. If anyone is at the hotel at that time please come to the lobby to help. The band & guard members will pick up their uniforms when they get back from the museum.
Important Information for Volunteers and Items Needed for Grasso!
1)BAND & GUARD MEMBERS – GET A RIDE TO PRACTICE – if possible do not bring your car to NHS on Saturday – leave it at the Diner so you will have it later that night and get a ride to NHS - Parents, please drive them to practice!
2) VOLUNTEERS - PARK IN THE BACK, or better yet, park at the diner and carpool over to the high school. This is very important. We will have a large crowd, and it is very important that we have enough room for spectator parking. You should drive all the way around the back of the school, and park in the lot that is up above the greenhouse, by the back practice fields. Or, park in the small lot just past the new cafetorium. Again - please carpool - you can leave cars at the park and ride and just bring one car over to the high school, or leave them at the diner... be creative. And please drop your band & guard members off for practice if you can – don’t have them bring a car if possible.
3) PICK UP YOUR VOLUNTEER NAMETAG. You will need this to work at the show. You can pick up your nametag at the admission gate.Unless you have heard differently from your committee leader, you should plan to arrive by 4pm. Our parking committee will be directing all arriving vehicles to the appropriate places that we have designated (bands, pits, staff, judges, honored guests, etc.) and we will be ensuring that all volunteers PARK IN THE BACK.
4) WEAR A SHOW SHIRTif you have one
5) BRING A SMALL FLASHLIGHT to help yourself, as well as any visitors who may need a little extra assistance.
6) Don't forget, we need plenty of BAKED GOODS for the bake sale - generous portions individually packaged for sale for $1. Please label anything that may contain nuts. Items can be dropped off from 2pm onwards.
7) The snack shack will be open with food for sale for volunteers and students just after band practice ends at 4:00 PM.
8) There is a slight chance of rain forecasted for Saturday. We will have the show no matter what. We will make a decision during the day on Saturday if we need to move the show indoors. We have several contingency plans in place, so please remain flexible during the day in the event that we need to change quickly to an indoor performance. We will still need everyone’s help to help make things run smoothly.
9) Everyone is asked to assist with general CLEANUP after the show ends.
10) WELCOME OUR GUESTS! We are appreciative of all who come to Newtown to compete, so please welcome them to Newtown, thank them for coming, and offer a “Have a good show!” to all who you meet on Saturday.
All in all, have fun!! See you on Saturday. Gates open to the public at 5, the show starts promptly at 6.
MORE VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!!
The Grasso Festival is a week from Saturday, on October 8th!
**Please do not wait to sign up!**
We need at least one parent from each family to volunteer.
Please click on the following link to sign up…we need many more volunteers in a number of key areas, and we especially need to buddy veteran band parent volunteers (to provide coaching and support), with new band parents (of underclassmen) so we can carry on next year after they leave the program.
Click Here to Volunteer for Grasso 2016!
We need volunteers for:
The email for each committee leader is on the signup website - please contact them if you have any questions.
Remember: As the show is our largest fundraiser, volunteers on the signup form don't pay admission...all others pay cash!!! We need you to sign up at the link above so we know that we have complete coverage!
Also, we will need many donations to the bake sale - to be dropped off on Saturday!!
If you have any questions about the show, please contact:
Scott Reiss, Event Chair
(203) 628-0708 cell
The Newtown High School Band Parents Corp maintains this blog. Contact us for more information.