The Importance of Discipline
Because of the nature of the organization, band discipline must, out of necessity, be strict. Band and Guard students and parents must be willing to accept the ideals, principles and rules. Because band members are constantly on display, each member must always be aware of the importance of good behavior. Any misconduct is a direct reflection on the band and school and may well undo the good work of many loyal students. Any student who discredits the band by their conduct either at school or on a trip, shall be subject to dismissal from the band in addition to disciplinary action by the school. Students who are repeatedly disciplined by school authorities for violation of school policies are a liability to the program and will be subject to dismissal. We support the parent who feels that in order to get their child to do better in his/her school work, or to punish the student for misconduct at home, their child should not be allowed to come to band or guard practice. However, if the parent chooses to use this form of discipline, the parent will need to remove the student from band.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages and taking any unauthorized drugs will not be tolerated and will cause immediate dismissal.
- Smoking, dipping, and chewing of tobacco products will not be tolerated.
- All students are expected to behave properly at all times. Anyone guilty of gross misbehavior will be dismissed.
- Absolutely no hazing or initiation of anyone or of any form will be tolerated.
- All school rules (including smoking) will be strictly enforced. The Music Department and the school authorities will deal with any infraction of these rules.
- Absences from regularly scheduled rehearsals will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of membership. All sectional rehearsals are mandatory.
- Talking during rehearsal while instruction is being given by staff or student leadership will not be tolerated.
- Insubordination directed toward staff or student leadership will not be tolerated.
- Students are required to attend all band activities unless excused by the band director.
- Students are required to remain with the band after performances and will be dismissed as character and musicianship. We expect your best. 14. The reputation of the Newtown Marching Band and Guard program will be built on quality of a group. Every student must always be with at least one other NHS band or guard member at ALL times during band events.
- Courtesy and respect is expected at all times. When assigned to a particular group or bus you are expected to stay with that group until the staff dismisses you.
- Public displays of affection are inappropriate AT ANY TIME during a marching band or guard event. This includes rehearsals, football games, bus rides, competitions, etc.
- After performances, band & guard members should continue to wear their uniforms (the uniform jacket may be taken off and left in the garment bag on the bus). Windbreaker jackets should be worn depending on the weather. Members should not change into other clothing, outerwear or shoes.