Marching Band Uniform Wear Guide
Guidelines for Competitions:
- No obvious makeup
- No jewelry, including watches and earrings
- No nail polish
- Pant length just touching the shoe - polished BAND SHOES only
- Black socks
- Hat should be worn with the straight brim at eyebrows and with top of hat parallel to ground. The chinstrap is used. All band members except sousaphone players and pit section should wear band hats only during field shows. Hat sizes (S, M, L and XL) determine how the hat will look in relation to one's face size.
- No hair should be touching the collar. All hair longer than collar length must be put up and secured with hair elastics and/or hairpins. Longer hair must be worn in a bun at the top of the head and in the front portion of the head, not the back. French braids do not work. How the hat will be worn properly and stay in place on the head throughout any parade or field show performance in large part is determined by the proper wearing of the hair. Important note: hair styling and tying of the webbing inside the hat needs to be experimented with and accomplished at home, not during the few hectic moments prior to a performance.
- Plumes will be distributed just prior to and collected at the completion of all performances.
- Plumes will be returned to their cardboard tubes following each use. Handle the feathers as little as possible. If the band hat is worn properly, the plume is in a straight up position. DO NOT take the plume home, as it requires special care and storing.